Tuesday 8 May 2012

Cabragh, Co Cork

Back in March I was passing through Clondrohid, four miles or so northwest of Macroom, and knowing of a stone circle at Cabragh, I thought I'd see if I could find it. I knew it was near to this stone row, which I found without too much difficulty just above the River Foherish.

There are four stones standing with another two lying prostrate. The tallest of the stones still upright is 2.2m, the length of the row is just short of 10m and the orientation is east/west.

I wandered around looking for the circle but couldn't find it. Later when I was home I looked at my notes and only then realised that I had actually seen some of it, one of its stones being just visible under the thorn tree mid-left in the top picture whilst the others have disappeared in the hedge under a mass of grass and brambles.

No comments:

Post a Comment